Saturday, June 11, 2011

What is Delhi’s Favorite Alphabet?


I’ve had this suspicion all along but could never prove it.
It was just a theory until last week when I went out in search of a barber. Oops, ‘Hairstylist’ as I have oft been corrected.
Unlike barbers, hairstylists hold degrees from institutes run by cosmetic companies. Next time you’re getting a trim, just look around, you’ll spot a framed certificate, and if you ask, you’ll also discover it doesn’t belong to the scissor-happy ‘stylist’ having a go on your scalp.

Anyway, back to my theory. I am walking down this road in Amar Colony and I begin to notice the various hair saloon’s (not shops). First in line is ‘TRENDZ’ then ‘MENZ Saloon’, followed by ‘CRAZE Saloon’ and ‘MAX MENZ’.
In between I notice a parked Santro (you guessed right, fully tinted) with a large “DELHI BOYZ” sticker on the back.
Another signboard tied onto the electric pole says “Permanent & Henna TATOOZ”.
By now I am convinced there is something about the alphabet ‘Z’ that fascinates us in Delhi. Maybe it somehow seals the name. Since there are no alphabets beyond ‘Z’, it’s meant as a subliminal invitation to look no further. Whatever the reason, I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t have named this blog ‘Headrush ARTZ’?

No comments:

Post a Comment